Thursday, May 10, 2007

Scene and Character Selection for A Midsummer Night's Dream

In my opinion, it really doesn't matter what part I play or what scene is chosen for me. I believe that every single character in this play will be fun to act because all characters are unique in their own specific way. This will make it challenging to perform a character, but I believe my group and I will be able to figure out how to perfect our acting. As I said before, I don't care what scene I'm in, but there is one exception. I don't want to be in a scene with a bunch of lines. If there are too many lines, my group will have to focus on memorizing lines instead of making our performance pleasing to our viewers. For instance, Scene 3, Act 2, is definitely out of the picture. Even though there is a lot of conflicts in this Act, it almost has 500 lines in it. I don't think anyone wants to memorize about 100 lines.

If I had to choose a single character that I want to be, it would have to be Bottom. His character is very entertaining. He thinks he's the best at everything, even though he isn't. It would be fun to jump into his shoes and try to become Nick Bottom. It also helps me that I did a character analysis on Bottom. So, I've thought about his character and what a good actor would do as him. A scene that I would like to act that has the character Bottom is Scene 1, Act 2. This is when commoners are preparing to put on a play. Bottom is a very lively character in this chapter, which is why it would be fun to act as him.

If I had to choose a scene I would like to perform with a group, it would be Scene 2, Act 2. This is when Puck puts the nectar on Titania and Lysander's eyes, making them fall in love with the first living thing they see. This scene would be fun to act because Puck is such a hilarious character. The person playing Puck will have the challenge of making the audience laugh with their antics. This is the scene where the major conflicts begin. We find out about this love square between Hermia, Helena, Lysander, and Demetrius.

It doesn't matter what scene I participate in. I will go wherever needed. But, if I had a choice, I would like to be Bottom in Scene 1, Act 2, or any of the characters in Scene 2, Act 2.

No comments: